I had written up a lot of details rebutting what was suggested (by
both Dave Wolfe publicly and Jim Reisert privately) when I went on a hunch
to check something. All of the permissions were correct on the wrapper,
and files, save the newly created test-list.new which was owned by bin.
What was odd was that L.test-list was owned by majordom.daemon but
everything else was set up as majordom.majordom. As I had mentioned in my
first post, I had done a chmod -R majordom.majordom * in the directory and
then reinstalled the wrapper to reset the setuid to root. However, the
problem appears to have been the group ownership on the majordomo root
directory itself. So, going up a directory and doing an ls -l revealed
that it had ownership of majordom.daemon. I changed it to
majordom.majordom and tried once more my command and it went through.
So, even though the file and directory permissions of the subdirectory
were correct, the group was wrong for the parent node of the sub-tree
Thanks for the responses.
[Back to lurk mode]
I ping, therefore I am...