Subject: Re: Assistance Needed on Approving Messages
From: Dave Wolfe <dwolfe @ risc . sps . mot . com>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 1997 08:50:29 -0600 (CST)
To: sales @ allaboutmoney . com (Sharon Tucci)
Cc: majordomo-users @ greatcircle . com

[ Sharon Tucci writes: ]

> I'm in the process of setting up a moderated mailing list (as
> list-owner) that I will be handling from a PC environment using EUDORA
> PRO for emails.
>
> I have a problem. I've set up my config file as being moderate=yes. I
> have one password that handles everything to do with my list.
>
> The problem is I cannot figure out how to either APPROVE mesages to
> the list or post any to begin with. Anything I am sending gets bounced
> back.
>
> I've tried including the line: "Approved: <password>" as the first
> line of the email and deleted any routing information leaving the to,
> from, subject and date. There are no blank lines included.

It would help to see actual messages with complete headers, but the
usual problems with GUI mailers are things like unnecessary MIMEing and
inserting "Memo" headings. Make sure your mailer isn't doing anything
like that such that the Approved: header is no longer the *first* line
of the message when it gets to Mj.

Secondly, it's not necessary to remove *anything* from the bounced
message. Resend will do all the header filtering it thinks is necessary.
You say no blank lines, does that include between the bounced headers
and bounced message? There has to be a blank line there (and should
already be there) for resend to know where the headers end and the
original body begins.

Then there's the issue of "line wrapping". Don't let your mailer do
it when you're trying to approve messages. The bottom line is, GUI
mailers, whose primary purpose is to make mail messages look pretty, are
completely inappropriate for mailing list management where what you want
is complete control of the messages, not making them look pretty.

--
 Dave Wolfe