At 07:55 PM 1/13/98 -0800, Whitewtr wrote:
:I am an idiot with a very simple list of about 3000 subscribers. I want
:to purge my system and notify everyone they will need to re-subscribe if
:they would like to. Does anyone know how to un-subscribe everyone?
Have the list file (a simple text file with each address) replaced
with an empty file. If you don't have access to this file, then ask
your administrator to replace it. Of course, you should save or
download the file in case you change your mind.
If you'd like to do it yourself, here is a simple method. It is based
on the fact that Majordomo will execute more than one command in a
message. It should be able to execute 3000 commands at once.
1. Write to the Majordomo and ask for: who listname
2. Take the resulting list and place it in the second column
of your spreadsheet
3. In the cell of the first column write
approve password unsubscribe listname
replacing "password" and "listname" with yours,
then copy the first cell to the entire column
4. Next, print both columns to a file so that each line
looks as follows
approve password unsubscribe listname email@example.com
5. Copy this text file to an email message and send it to
Majordomo (and hope it won't choke ;)
6. After receiving 3000 confirmation messages from the Major,
send another "who listname" message to see if it is empty.
Not to worry, Majordomo will not send unsubscribe confirmation
messages to each subscriber.
PS- Methinks you will have 3000 pissed off subscribers =:0