Subject: HTML Mail
From: Geoff Reed <geoffr @ rit . com>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 1998 16:54:39 -0800 (PST)
To: <majordomo-users @ greatcircle . com>

The BIGGEST argument against HTML mail is that is seems to quadruple the
size of a message, and unlike here in the US, there are many countries
where the users have to pay not only per-minute phone charges, but per
minute Internet access charges.

  i have subscribers to several of my mailing lists in parts of europe,
  asia, africa and south america, and most of the out of country users I
  have are paying by the minute charges. and for that reason, I do not
  and will not allow HTML mail on my mailing lists.

  Many mailing lists are out there to disseminate information, and I
  don't know about the rest of the people out there but I pick up info
  from messages faster if it is -all- in the same typestyle and color,
  if someone has gone and colorized it or put weird fonts in so that it
  looks 'cool' or emphasizes what -they- think is important, then that
  is distracting from the message as a whole, as I may find some other
  portion of their message important...

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Does this "=20" look familiar (MIME?)