Great Circle Associates Majordomo-Users
(May 1998)

Subject: Re: FINDMAIL.COM
From: Christopher Lindsey <lindsey @ ncsa . uiuc . edu>
Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 18:55:19 -0500 (CDT)
To: lazlo @ swcp . com (Lazlo Nibble)
Cc: majordomo-users @ GreatCircle . COM

> Good luck.  I've been over this with them a number of times; they insist that
> the address they use to subscribe to the lists they archive
> (listsaver-of-listname@findmail.com, I think) counts as sufficient
> notification to the list owner.  I've passed along (with permission) the last
> message I got from their lead apologist.
>
> FYI, they are currently archiving all the public lists at greatcircle as well.

There's a big difference between a single list subscription and
total redistribution to an undisclosed number of users.  That's
a blatant copyright violation, and any Internet lawyer will back
you up.

Each list that I maintain says in the .info file that users posting
messages retain all rights to whatever copyrights they may hold.
I suggest adding something like this.

If findmail.com ever tries archiving our lists, they'll find themselves
slapped with a class action suit on behalf of the list subscribers
faster than they can say 'unsubscribe.'  But just to be on the safe
side, I'm blocking findmail.com from all SMTP transactions.  :)

Chris