Great Circle Associates Majordomo-Users
(June 1999)

Subject: Re: majordomo and PGP
From: Jeffrey Kaplan <jkaplan @ world . std . com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 1999 05:43:31 -0400
To: Len Cumbow <cumbow @ channel1 . com>
Cc: Majordomo-Users @ GreatCircle . COM

On Tue, 1 Jun 1999, Len Cumbow wrote:

>Is there any way to set up a "secure" majordomo-based mailing-list
>by somehow integrating PGP?  Outbound messages would have to be
>encrypted for each recipient using that recipient's public key.
>Such a mailing list would be, by nature, a distinctly private "club",
>where each new subscriber would submit his/her public key (along
>with other "club" membership application information).  If accepted,
>the new subscriber would send encrypted email to the list using the
>list's public key.  The list software would decrypt the message and
>redistribute it to the list members in turn by encrypting it using
>each member's public key.

I'm not sure if it's possible to do exactly what you want, but I've
seen suggested before that for using PGP with Majordomo, that you use
a specific key for the list and distribute that key to your list
members - both public and private keys - and tell list memebers to use
that key for encrypting to and decrypting from the list.

Of course, this means that whenever someone leaves the list, you will
have to generate a new key pair and revoke the previous.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan           <*>    I'm set up for PGP.  Are you?
jkapllan@world.std.com   <*>   There's only one "l" in my name.

"Representatives for President Clark, speaking for the Senate
Investigative Committee today, dismissed these latest allegations,
describing them as attempts to destabilize EarthGov from within and
without."  (ISN News, B5 "Messages From Earth")