Great Circle Associates Majordomo-Users
(June 1999)

Subject: Losing all DATA in a message when $TMPDIR fills
From: Jeffrey Goldberg <J . Goldberg @ Cranfield . ac . uk>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 07:35:15 +0100 (BST)
To: Majordomo Users List <majordomo-users @ GreatCircle . COM>

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10

The filesystem containing /usr/tmp recently filled up and a message
to a list (via resend) went out to the list with MTA generated headers
only.  That is, it appeared that the actual message was lost, but that
resend just kept on going.

Now when I look at the code, I see that resend does appears to do the
right thing, when opening the file

 &open_temp(IN, "$TMPDIR/resend.$$.in") ||
     &abort("resend: Can't open $TMPDIR/resend.$$.in: $!");

But doesn't check for successful writing to that file a few lines later

 while (<STDIN>) {
     print IN $_;
 }

The same failure to check appears when printing to OUT (though I got lost
in the code trying to figure out where and when OUT was written.)
Also, there are no checks on the opening of MAILIN

Note, I have to confess to being a version behind, and have described the
situation with 1.94.3.  Are some of these things fixed in 1.94.4?

Do people have patches, or should I code my own?

-j
--
Jeffrey Goldberg                +44 (0)1234 750 111 x 2826
 Cranfield Computer Centre      FAX         751 814

Indexed By Date Previous: [Fwd: Returned mail: unknown mailer error 9]