Great Circle Associates Majordomo-Users
(September 1999)

Subject: Majordomo Installation Issues
From: Frederic Breitwieser <frederic @ xephic . dynip . com>
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 19:39:24 -0400
To: majordomo-users @ greatcircle . com, eluglist @ elug . org

Greetings,

I apologize in advance if I have posted this inquiry in the incorrect
spot... from the instructions and documentation I've found on the web it
seems appropriate ;)

Anyway, we have an MS exchange server, which we will be defining the
mailing list names, as well as the majordomo@ourdomain.com, and hoping
to have majordomo/sendmail/fetchmail, or a combination of, retrieve the
messages for administration (majordomo@...com) as well as the messages
routing them back through SMTP relay mode to the exchange server, which
will then use DNS to resolve and send the outgoing messages.

Because DNS services are not available on the private subnet (the
Exchange is also the proxy unfortunately, and cannot "go away"), I am
really clueless on how to approach this.  Should I use fetchmail via its
pop3 function to gather all the mail (I tested this, it seems to work
fine), have majordomo shuffle and reforward everything, then have
sendmail move the mail back?

I cannot seem to get the sendmail piece to relay out to the exchange
box.  Sendmail gives DNS not found errors, even though its disabled and
explicitly keyed in as the private IP address.  Also, /etc/hosts is
properly defined, and /etc/host.conf is only seeking the prior file.

Anyway, the question I'm asking is more of "can majordomo work
effectively under these constraints?  And if so, which would be the best
combination to use?".  From there, I can work more on the
fetchmail/sendmail/majordomo configs till it works. I just wanted to
besure I'm applying my time towards a solution that -can- work.

Thank you in advance.

--

Frederic Breitwieser
Xephic Technology

Tele: (203) 372-2707
 Fax: (603) 372-1147
Web: http://xephic.dynip.com/

Indexed By Date Previous: Truncated "restrict_post" line