After several days of frustration, I've finally managed to set up an
archive of a mailing list. The problems have been mainly due to the
differing information in the O'Reilly article, the README, and the FAQ.
I found the O'Reilly article very helpful on most things, but when it
comes to setting up an archive it outlines how to do it using a simple
sendmail alias to save to a file. Unfortunately on my system there is
simply no way of being able to set the permissions correctly.
So instead of the example alias:
What I eventually found to work was:
sample-archive: "|/usr/local/majordomo/wrapper archive2.pl\
-f /usr/local/majordomo/archive/sample -D -a"
but first I had to correct the path to perl in archive2.pl and then
install the archive2.pl script in /usr/local/majordomo/sbin. Read the
archive2.pl script for the options.
I hope that this helps someone else to avoid the hours that I've spent
trying to work out why the permissions on an archive file were wrong,
and being obliged to try countless variations before being obliged to
try a different tack.
This is my article, not my employer's, with my opinions and my disclaimer!
Duncan Gibson, ESTEC/YCV, Postbus 299, 2200AG Noordwijk, The Netherlands
Tel: +31 71 5654013 Fax: +31 71 5656142 Email: email@example.com