Great Circle Associates Majordomo-Users
(September 1999)

Subject: Re: I'm new - I want to know if MD can do the following
From: Miles Fidelman <mfidelman @ civicnet . org>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 1999 21:42:20 -0400 (EDT)
To: Doug_Spindler @ providian . com
Cc: majordomo-users @ greatcircle . com

On Thu, 9 Sep 1999 Doug_Spindler@providian.com wrote:

(is the following possible)

> I'd like the list server to be able to send out the meeting
> announcements. So the list server should be configured so that anyone
> can subscribe or unsubscribe, the list of subscribers is password
> protected, and postings can only be from two selected subscribers
> and/or require a password.

yes

> For the other list I'd like it to be open.  Meaning, I'd like anyone
> to be able to subscribe/unsubscribe and allow anyone to post messages
> without approval. The list of subscribers should be password
> protected.

yes

the above two are completely within the capabilities of majordomo - you
just have to set the config. file properly

> And lastly I'd like to protect against posting loops when
> people are using automated replies.

partially - these are caused by broken mailers, and there are lots of
different types of broken mailers - there are a variety of things you can
add to majordomo that catch some of these loops, but there will always be
something that slips through the cracks