Subject: Re: Question/Opinion Needed on Sendmail Alternatives under Linux
From: Darren Wyn Rees <merlin @ netlink . co . uk>
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2000 10:33:50 +0000
To: "George R. Kasica" <georgek @ netwrx1 . com>, majordomo-users @ greatcircle . com

On Sat, Jul 22, 2000 at 11:48:53AM -0500, George R. Kasica wrote:

> I'm looking at alternatives to sendmail under Linux here and am also
> running majordomo 1.94.5.

[...]

> I'm thinking of something like QMail but am not sure how I'd implement
> that here with majordomo....any suggestions as to a package and or
> your likes/dislikes would be GREATLY appreciated.

In my experience, the best way to evaluate MTAs is to install them
yourself, and then run them around the proverbial block... If the
wheels fall off or you do not "like them", then try another one.

I have used Sendmail, qmail, and Postfix with Majordomo.
Postfix is very sendmailish (it is a 'drop in' replacement); qmail is not.

For help on installing/using Majordomo & Qmail refer to Russ Allbery's FAQ

	http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/faqs/mjqmail.html

There is also a lot of useful information on using Majordomo with the
various MTAs available in the list archives for each respective MTA :

http://www.exim.org/
http://www.qmail.org/
http://www.postfix.org/

	Darren

--
ASK your ISP to add the new england.* Newsgroups
http://www.england.news-admin.org/