Great Circle Associates Majordomo-Users
(January 2001)

Subject: Re: Triggering other programs when a message reaches a particular list
From: Dan Liston <dliston @ netscape . com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 18:49:19 -0600
To: alann lopes <alopes @ ucsd . edu>
Cc: majordomo-users @ greatcircle . com

alann lopes wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a situation where I would like to trigger
> an external piece of perl upon the receipt of a
> message to certain lists.  I then need for the

Sounds like a good use for an /etc/aliases entry.

> custom perl code to build the list file on
> the fly from a database before sending the
> message that initiated the trigger.  Once

As long as a search of whatever database can result
in text output containing one email address per line,
you should have no trouble with this requirement.

> the dynamically built list is ready, the message
> that triggered the rebuilding of the list should
> then be sent to this newly created list.

This is just a matter of handing off the message to
resend as if it was sent there in the first place.
This does assume that your output file from the
database search is named properly with the correct
permissions.

> I've thought about hacking the majordomo code,
> but I rather not do that... Besides, I suspect
> that what I'm trying to do has already been
> done (although my searches have not yielded
> anything useful).  Does anyone have any thoughts
> on this.  I would truly appreciate any wisdom...

You have just described majordomo itself, other
than building the list dynamically.  That is the
only part that you need to build.  Majordomo already
has all the rest of it.

Dan Liston