Great Circle Associates Majordomo-Users
(February 2001)

Subject: Re: Different "From"
From: "D. Liston" <dliston @ netscape . com>
Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2001 17:34:58 -0600
To: "Anderson, Bill" <wander01 @ mail . state . mo . us>
Cc: Majordomo Users <majordomo-users @ greatcircle . com>

No, this will not work.  The sender is always appended with the resend_host
value, or the $whereami value if resend_host is blank.  Having spaces also
throws off what you would expect to happen.  "Notices of the day" is better
placed in a subject header than a from header IMHO anyway.

Now, if notd is in your password file as a user, and instead of a person's
name the line contains the "Notices of the day" comment, sendmail will/can
use the value of the GECOS field as part of the sender address.

Dan Liston