Great Circle Associates Majordomo-Users
(February 2001)

Subject: Looping Problem
From: "Steven D. Porter" <sporter @ naisp . net>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 13:27:57 -0500
To: <majordomo-users @ GreatCircle . COM>

Sys Info:
majordomo_version = "1.94.4"
Sendmail 8.9.3/8.9.3
perl-5.00503-12
RedHat Linux 6.2

I don't use majordomo for lists, but only for the autoreply function.  I have several aliases set up in /etc/aliases that send the "sender" an autoreply message, and the original mail is sent to a real e-mail address for manual response.

For example, if someone sends mail to sales@blah.com, the sender would receive an automated reply that has relevant info on who to call, etc., for sales info, and the original e-mail message is sent to an actual sales person's e-mail address.

Recently, spammers have begun sending e-mail to sales@blah.com and in their reply-to (Mail-From) they also have it configured as if it were coming from sales@blah.com.  So, my server receives a mail from sales@blah.com which is addressed to sales@blah.com.  This obviously creates a massive loop, while my server keeps autoresponding to itself, and the sales person's mailbox gets filled with thousands of the autoresponder message, eventually leading to the crashing of my mail server(s), if not caught in time.

How can I stop this from happening?  Would I use the $global_taboo_headers section of majordomo.cf?  If so, what is the correct syntax to prevent mail being sent from the majordomo sales alias address?

Reading through the archives, I think I found the right syntax, but cannot be sure.  Would this work?:

/^from:sales\@blah\.com/i

OR

/^from:\s.*sales@blah\.com/i

I have seen several variants in the archives, but can't determine which one is best to use.  Since the looping causes such major problems, I'm afraid to test either until I have some sort of guidance from the list.  If neither situation would work, does anyone have another suggestion to try?

Thanks,

Steve

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: Archiving