Great Circle Associates Majordomo-Users
(February 2001)

Subject: Re: poster stuff
From: The Abalone <cra @ bigfatpipe . net>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 00:17:07 -0800 (PST)
To: Doug Brewer <doug @ alphoto . com>
Cc: Clayton Beaudoin <clayton @ onenw . org>, <majordomo-users @ GreatCircle . COM>

On Wed, 21 Feb 2001, Doug Brewer wrote:
> What I did was create a new list, listname-nomail, which is really
> just a list of subscribers, a config and an alias. No mail is sent
> through the list, and no mail is sent from the list. The subscriber
> list is then included in the restrict_post line with the regular list.

The solution we're using is a bit more involved, and does not (at this
time) allow the listowners to directly add or remove no-mail users.

There are three files in place for each list that requests this ability.
They are [list], [list].additional, and [list].approved.  The [list] file
is the traditional subscriber list.  The [list].additional file is a list
of addresses that would like to post to the list, but not receive messages
in their boxes.  (Work accounts, whatever.)  The [list].approved file is
a generated file (we use a small perl script run from the crontab) which
is basically the same as:

cat [list] > [list].approved ; cat [list].additional >> [list].approved

The [list].approved file is then set to be the restrict_post value.

The benefits of this approach are less lists to configure/manage, as the
"nomail" feature becomes a function of config files relative to the
existing lists.  The drawback is that because there is no way for
listowners to directly edit those files, it increases a burden on your
sysadmins.

-CA