Great Circle Associates Majordomo-Users
(June 2001)

Subject: Re: Looking for solutions
From: Dan Liston <dliston @ netscape . com>
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2001 19:01:13 -0500
To: jacks @ sage-american . com, Majordomo Users <majordomo-users @ greatcircle . com>

I did "assUme" that you are running majordomo-1.94.5 when I sent my previous
response.  I am still making that assumption, and that your sendmail is at
least version 8.9.3 or higher.

Did you look at the first paragraph of text in the archive2.pl script?  It
also allows you to do daily, monthly, or yearly archives.  Archive2.pl is
just a newer version of archive.pl.
# archive -f <archive> {-u|-a} [-d|-m|-y] [file ...]
#       -f <archive> REQUIRED; specifies base file name for archive
#       -u      Input is a UNIX archive (separated by "From " lines) to split
#       -a      Input is a message to append to archive
#       -d      Archive file is <archive>.YYMMDD
#       -D      Archive file is <archive>.YYYYMMDD
#       -m      Archive file is <archive>.YYMM
#       -M      Archive file is <archive>.YYYYMM
#       -y      Archive file is <archive>.YY
#       -Y      Archive file is <archive>.YYYY
# Exactly one of "-u" or "-a" must be specified.
# At most one of "-d", "-D", "-m", "-M", "-y", or "-Y" may be specified;
# if none is specified, archive name is simply <archive>
The key here, is that you are also allowed to use alternate majordomo.cf
files.  The -C /path/to/majordomo.cf is undocumented except in the perl
code itself, and must be the very first argument to the command.

Neither of the archive tools will "send" messages out, but only create
the file with contents of that day's messages, and give the filename an
extension that indicates the period of time in it's content.

What it really sounds like your end goal is though, is to create a daily
digest of messages and send those out rather than creating an archive.
Setting up a -digest of your list requires additional aliases, and a
listname-digest.config file (which purges received lines) for each list.
A daily cron job can send a command to majordomo to "force" a digest to
be compiled and sent out.  Just be careful NOT to run this cron as root
or majordomo.

Dan Liston