Great Circle Associates Majordomo-Users
(June 2001)

Subject: Re: Message duplication problem
From: Frank Bax <fbax @ sympatico . ca>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 08:18:06 -0400
To: Majordomo-users @ greatcircle . com

As a newbie to sendmail/majordomo, I wonder: is this a bug in sendmail?  Or
there a good reason why sendmail would start another delivery queue?  I
recently setup Majordomo specifically to handle a list of about 4,000
entries which was taking many hours to deliver directly from Outlook
Express client.  We were about to test it with the 'live' subscriber list
when I caught this thread.

Frank

At 03:38 AM 6/15/01 -0500, you wrote:
>The most common reason for this is that your sendmail is starting to run
another
>delivery queue before the first one is completed.  You could speed this up
by
>keeping your "large" list sorted by domain, and using bulk_mailer.
Bulk_mailer
>would probably be most beneficial.
>
>Your other choice is to extend the time between sendmail queue runs.  By
default
>(in RedHat anyway) sendmail tries to deliver the queue every 30 minutes.
If you
>have a very beefy server, and high bandwidth connection to the internet, you
>might be able to deliver 18k messages (depending on how big they are too)
in an