Great Circle Associates Majordomo-Users
(June 2001)

Subject: Re: Message duplication problem
From: Frank Bax <fbax @ sympatico . ca>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 08:18:06 -0400
To: Majordomo-users @ greatcircle . com

As a newbie to sendmail/majordomo, I wonder: is this a bug in sendmail?  Or
there a good reason why sendmail would start another delivery queue?  I
recently setup Majordomo specifically to handle a list of about 4,000
entries which was taking many hours to deliver directly from Outlook
Express client.  We were about to test it with the 'live' subscriber list
when I caught this thread.

At 03:38 AM 6/15/01 -0500, you wrote:
>The most common reason for this is that your sendmail is starting to run
>delivery queue before the first one is completed.  You could speed this up
>keeping your "large" list sorted by domain, and using bulk_mailer.
>would probably be most beneficial.
>Your other choice is to extend the time between sendmail queue runs.  By
>(in RedHat anyway) sendmail tries to deliver the queue every 30 minutes.
If you
>have a very beefy server, and high bandwidth connection to the internet, you
>might be able to deliver 18k messages (depending on how big they are too)
in an
>hour.  If you are able to deliver 6k messages in an hour, you would still
>three hours to deliver all the mail.
>You should consider a combination of bulk_mailer and extending the
sendmail time
>between queue runs.
>Dan Liston
>Kirk Ismay wrote:
>> I've recently set up a new mailing list for announcements to customers,
>> about 18,000 addresses on it. The addresses were collected legitimately
(we are
>> not spamming).
>> This is the first list I've set up with that many addresses (our next
>> list has 9,000 on it), and the problem is that a message sent to the
list has
>> resulted in the same message being sent to recipients several times (up
to 10
>> duplicates have been reported).
>> Some customers were understandably upset.
>> We're using Majordomo version 1.94.5 & sendmail 8.11.3 on a Debian Linux
>> Can anyone give me advice on preventing this problem?  Would Keith Moore's
>> bulk_mailer software fix the problem?

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Reply_to limitation?