Great Circle Associates Majordomo-Users
(October 2001)

Subject: Re: aliases problem?
From: Daniel Liston <dliston @ netscape . com>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 15:27:21 -0500
To: "Christopher A. Adams" <chris @ sparkie . osl . state . or . us>
Cc: majordomo-users @ GreatCircle . COM

Note the last 3 lines quoted from the majordomo/resend file.

#  Okay, resend accepts many command line arguments, as revealed by the
#  Getopts call:
#      &Getopts("Aa:df:h:I:l:M:p:Rr:s") || die("resend: Getopts() failed: $!");
#  Most of these are defined via the list config file, so in general,
#  it's a really bad idea to hardcode them in the alias definition.
#  In a future version of majordomo, these will likely all be removed.

I would get rid of all but the "-l oregoncares" argument from the alias
and use the settings in your oregoncares.config file.

As for the snippet you provided from your aliases file;
Without knowing what MTA you using and how it is configured, or how well
connected your network and DNS resolver are connected, or any firewall
rules that may be preventing connections, it is impossible to provide a
simple answer to your question.

You might want to check the majordomo/lists/oregoncares file for any
addresses that may be pointing back to one of your aliases.

You might want to view the log files for your MTA and for majordomo for
any clues.

You do want to verify that DNS and /etc/hosts files do not have
conflicting entries.

You need to verify that during your "too many hops" loop, your own
default route out of your local network was funtional.

Dan Liston