Great Circle Associates Majordomo-Users
(November 2001)

Subject: Re: Majordomo for Idiots?
From: Daniel Liston <dliston @ netscape . com>
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2001 15:37:06 -0600
To: brucenow @ sonic . net, majordomo-users @ greatcircle . com

Bruce,

Here is a sample of aliases I sent to Donna via the majordomo-users
list about digests, but the same sample, with minor modifications,
can be used for a regular list too.

If your list is called "test" and you are digesting messages, the
aliases file should have entries that look something like this;

test: "|/usr/lib/majordomo/wrapper resend -l test test-outgoing,nobody"
owner-test: dliston,
test-approval: owner-test
test-outgoing: :include:/var/lib/majordomo/lists/test,test-archiver,test-digestify
test-archiver: "|/usr/lib/majordomo/wrapper archive2.pl -f /var/lib/majordomo/archive/test/test -a -M"
test-digestify: "|/usr/lib/majordomo/wrapper digest -r -C -l test-digest test-digest-outgoing",
test-request: "|/usr/lib/majordomo/wrapper request-answer test"
#test-request: "|/usr/lib/majordomo/wrapper majordomo -l test"
test-digest: test
owner-test-digest: owner-test
test-digest-approval: owner-test
test-digest-outgoing: :include:/var/lib/majordomo/lists/test-digest"

The above has dependencies on your majordomo.cf file settings for;
$whereami = "domain.org";
$homedir = "/usr/lib/majordomo";
$listdir = "/var/lib/majordomo/lists";
$digest_work_dir = "/var/lib/majordomo/digest";
$filedir = "/var/lib/majordomo/archive";
$filedir_suffix = "";
^note^ you must create the subdirectories for test and test-digest
/var/lib/majordomo/digest/test-digest
/var/lib/majordomo/archive/test
/var/lib/majordomo/archive/test-digest

If you are using sendmail as your MTA, none of these directories
can be group or world writable.

If you do not have direct file system access to these configuration
files and directories, you will have to enlist the assistance of
your service provider or system administrator.  There is no form
of access to the /etc/aliases or /etc/majordomo.cf via email commands
to majordomo.  If in fact you are the administrator of the machine
running sendmail and majordomo, you pretty much have to understand
the workings of the SMTP mail protocol, or at least be able to
manipulate/understand sendmail fairly well, before attacking the
complexity (or simplicity, depending on how you see it) of majordomo.

Dan Liston

brucenow@sonic.net wrote:

> Daniel,
>
> Thanks for your reply.  I just sent you the results of an index command, but
> this is probably not how I get the /etc/aliases file, huh?  How do I get that.
>
> Bruce
>
> Daniel Liston <dliston@netscape.com> said:
>
> > Considering there should not be an actual user named napahighdialogue, there
> > should be an entry for this in the /etc/aliases file.  What does that look
> > like?
> >
> > Dan Liston
> >
> > brucenow@sonic.net wrote:
> > >
> > > I think I'm in over my head here.  Is there a "Majordomo for Idiots?"  I'm
> > > trying to figure out how this thing works.  I subscribed two of my email
> > > addresses to Napahighdialogue@sonic.net, a mailing list I established
> there.
> > > When I send a "who" command, I get back brucenow@sonic.net and
> > > [bwilsonnow@yahoo.com].  Brucenow@sonic.net is me, the owner.  When I
> send an
> > > email to either napahighdialogue@sonic.net or
> > > napahighdialogue@lists.sonic.net I get backthe following message.
> > > <[bwilsonnow@yahoo.com]@afterburner.sonic.net>:
> > > Sorry, no mailbox here by that name. (#5.1.1)
> > > Why doesn't my email go to both email addresses since both are in the who
> > > list?
> > >
> > > Bruce Wilson
> >

> --

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: set sender error message