Great Circle Associates Majordomo-Users
(November 2001)

Subject: Re: It's time to document limitations/problems/strategies for large lists
From: dliston @ netscape . com (Dan Liston)
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 10:54:25 -0600
To: Stewart Dean <sdean @ bard . edu>
Cc: majordomo-users @ GreatCircle . COM

I will admit that documentation has not really been an area I have had
interest in, especially since the FAQ already recommends searching the
majordomo-users archives before asking the question.  As all our replies
are archived, one problem is an easy to use search engine, and another
is the discussion of hardware, bandwidth, and performance matrix when
building a majordomo/list-server.  Not that I would want to maintain
the FAQ either, but it also seems that many of the same questions that
do get asked here, should be added to the FAQ.  Even if the FAQ says,
"ask for help on the mailing list", until a good 'canned' answer can
be provided.  When lists do get this large, most of my experience has
been with commercial entities.  At this point, economics 101 takes over
and tells me this becomes a real time and materials consulting project.

Dan Liston