Great Circle Associates Majordomo-Users
(November 2001)

Subject: Re: Stuck.
From: David VanHorn <dvanhorn @ cedar . net>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 21:45:37 -0500
To: dliston @ netscape . com (Dan Liston)
Cc: majordomo-users @ GreatCircle . COM

At 02:57 PM 11/28/01 -0600, Dan Liston wrote:
>It looks like the "keen awareness" thing has bitten you.  Secondly, I do
>not trust interfaces that I did not write.  Webmin, MajorCool, and windows
>all fit in this category.  I can't tell you what to use, but I can tell
>you shell commands that work.  If you can not guarantee an exact match by
>using webmin, please do not use it.  Let's learn to crawl before we walk
>or run.

I understand, but I was going on the theory that since it worked previously
(RH6.1 and earlier version of majordomo) that it should work correctly
now.  That may be an invalid assumption.

>You should NOT have to create a majordomo.cf.  The rpm should have created
>one in /etc/majordomo.cf for you.

Ok, then this is also different from what I had in 6.1.
The mj.cf was in the majordomo directory.
This could explain some problems, because I have to tell webmin where the
mj.cf file is.
If it's using the wrong file...

Using "find", I see /etc/majordomo.cf, and /etc/majordomo.cf.rpmorig, plus
my archived old copy, and /usr/lib/majordomo/majordomo.cf (which I created)
So, I'll go nuke those bogus copies, and keep the /etc/majordomo.cf
Done
so now /etc/majordomo.cf is the active config file.

>  The sendmail aliases should not need to
>be deleted either, but some did need to be modified from using the old
>majordomo instance to the new one.

Ok, they're gone, but no great loss.

>Any occurance of /usr/local/majordomo
>would need to be examined and where "wrapper" appears in the RHS, you would
>change /local/ to /lib/.

At this point, you've lost me. What's an RHS?

>  Any occurance of :include: in the RHS, you could
>leave the same, but then you would have to modify majordomo.cf which defeats
>the purpose of using the rpm for your starting point.  Instead, make changes
>from /usr/local/ to /var/lib/.  Or to further our crawling status, let's
>ignore existing lists and their aliases and create a brand new "test" list.
>This list will not archive or digest, and majordomo will manager membership
>and access to the list.

Good idea, but I need clarification on the above, to proceed, I think.

--
Dave's Engineering Page: http://www.dvanhorn.org

Got a need to read Bar codes?  http://www.barcodechip.com
Bi-directional read of UPC-A, UPC-E, EAN-8, EAN-13, JAN, and Bookland, with
two or five digit supplemental codes, in an 8 pin chip, with NO external parts.

Follow-Ups:
  • Re: Stuck.