Great Circle Associates Majordomo-Users
(November 2001)

Subject: Re: BOUNCE message from resend & message seperator
From: "Kyle Tucker" <kylet @ incyte . com>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 15:26:44 -0500
To: dliston @ netscape . com (Dan Liston)
Cc: majordomo-users @ GreatCircle . COM

On Nov 29,  1:14pm, Dan Liston wrote:
> Subject: Re: BOUNCE message from resend & message seperator
> Time for an honesty check.  I have to admit, in all the years I have been
> using majordomo, I have never used the approve script.  I have always
> done approvals via email commands, and then, primarily from the Netscape
> mail client (linux and windows).  I should have made it more clear that
> I was referring to doing the approval this way when I replied.

They key thing here is that I am setting this for non-technical Windows
users, so I simply wanted something for them to send off approved messages
to without dealing with header manipulation. I have since solved this by
rolling my own "approve" script using the "deliver" package which made this
easy. Here's what I did - when the user gets a bounce for mail sent to the
mailing list called "answers", he then redirects the original message he
wishes to approve to an alias called answers-approved which is an alias that
pipes the message through deliver which in turn pipes the message through
this script and voila! The script makes sure the sender is an approved
address. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction regarding only
needing the original message.

#!/bin/sh
# Set approved: header and send back into the stream to majordomo

TOPDIR=/usr/local/lib/answers
ALLOW=${TOPDIR}/allow
WRKFILE=/tmp/answers.$$

WHO=`echo $SENDER | sed -e "s/^.*<//" -e "s/>//"`

if grep "^${WHO}$" $ALLOW > /dev/null 2>&1
then
        PW=`grep "^answers" /.majordomo | awk ' { print $2 } '`
        echo "/^Subject:/i\\" > approve.sed
        echo "Approved: $PW" >> approve.sed
        cat $HEADER | sed -f approve.sed -e "s/answers-approved/answers/" >
$WRKFILE
        cat $BODY >> $WRKFILE
        cat $WRKFILE | /usr/lib/sendmail -oi -t
        rm $WRKFILE
else
        echo "Attempt from $WHO" | mailx -s "Majordomo approval attempt"
postmaster
fi

echo DROP