Great Circle Associates Majordomo-Users
(January 2002)

Subject: Post setup error message
From: "Sanders, Corey" <Corey_Sanders @ stercomm . com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2002 16:10:17 -0500
To: "'majordomo-users @ greatcircle . com'" <majordomo-users @ greatcircle . com>

I setup majordomo (first from an RPM from rpmfind.net, and after that didn't
work from the greatcircle source). After both installs, I get the same
problem "Illegal command: majordomo" and "Unknown mailer error: 6" (see
attached error message). I've checked, rechecked, and triple-checked the
permissions and they all seem to be correct. I've looked for typos and I've
read the FAQ so many times I could recite it like Shakespeare, but I don't
see the issue. Any help?

Things I've tried:

1) As a non-privledged user, I run the '/usr/lib/majordomo/wrapper
config-test' command and it tests fine.

2) As a non-privledged user, I can run '/usr/lib/majordomo/wrapper majordomo
< smtp.test.message' and majordomo works fine.

3) As anyone, if I run 'echo lists | mail majordomo', I get the error
message returned below.

4) The FAQ says to check errno.h if the "Unknown mailer" error is below 255.
I do this, but the error message "ENXIO - no such device or address" doesn't
make any sense to me.

5) I know that the wrapper script has to at least get called because I am
getting the "majordomo-owner" mail messages at my work email address, using
a completely different mail server.

Environment:

Majordomo is installed under /usr/lib/majordomo as user 'majordomo', group
'majordomo'. The wrapper is setuid root and is in the 'daemon' group. I am
currently using the src archive from greatcircle, version 1.94.5. My
sendmail install is an out-of-the-box Redhat 7.2 configuration. The only
thing I've changed is my aliases file and I tried adding majordomo to the
trusted-users file in /etc/mail.

-- Corey Sanders