Great Circle Associates Majordomo-Users
(January 2002)

Subject: Re: create a report of undeliverable mails
From: Frank Bax <fbax @ sympatico . ca>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 17:34:11 -0500
To: "Mohler, Jeff" <jeff . mohler @ netapp . com>
Cc: Helpdesk <helpdeskmail @ yahoo . it>, majordomo-users @ greatcircle . com

Sorry, momentarily forgot the golden rule:  "Given enough time and money
programmers can build any system".

Now, let's be realistic.  I have a mailing list with almost 5,000 email
addresses on it.  It takes a couple of hours for the lowly P2-233 to get
our monthly message out.  After that it takes up to 5 days for all the
bounce messages to come back.  Many messages have been forwarded before
they are bounced, and the 'bounced' reply give no indication of the
original email address.  So, if its acceptable to wait 5 days for a
partially complete report, I suppose it could be built.

Actually, I was thinking the person was looking for such a report WITHOUT
actually doing a mailing to the list.

If you must first send out a mailing to get the information, and then
intercept the bounced messages, I suspect that it would be a better
approach to simply remove the offending email addresses, rather than simply
report them.  I suspect scripts already exist with this in mind.

Frank