Great Circle Associates Majordomo-Users
(January 2002)

Subject: Re: .cf .mc /aliases help
From: Walter Betancourt <walt @ betan . com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 12:18:19 -0500
To: majordomo-users @ greatcircle . com

Tim,

I'm not expert majordomo but,

there is majordomo documentation regarding the alias file, I believe in the
installation files,

I recall  you create an aliases file as /etc/majordomo.aliases

and ref it in /etc/mail/sendmail.cf  after reference to /etc/aliases add
,/etc/majordomo.aliases

This is a majordomo configuration, check your install files.

At 12:03 PM 1/23/02 -0500, you wrote:
>On Wed, 23 Jan 2002, Dr. Tim wrote:
>
>> I have an alias file in /etc/
>> (IT DOES NOT HAVE ANY MAJORDOMO ALIASES)
>> I have a sendmail.cf file
>> in /etc/mail and it reference only the
>> alias file found int
>> /etc/mail/aliases
>> and that file (/etc/mail/aliases) references
>> NO MAJORDOMO aliases.
>> BUT
>> in my
>> usr/local/majordomo-1.94.5/aliases
>> file I have my majordomo aliases
>>
>> So, I have 3 aliases files
>> one contains the references but sendmail somehow
>> knows about them! yet it is NOT getting it from the sendmail.cf
>> info.  Some mention of a .mc and exploiting the 'features'
>> of sendmail but I don't even know 'where to find an mc file'
>> I have reviewed my installation and have not a clue how
>> I have got sendmail to recognize aliases in a directory NOT
>> referenced.
>
>Two things:
>
>i. you neglected to mention what version of sendmail you're running, there
>have been some major changes in recent releases - so which version you're
>running is a critical missing piece of information
>
>ii. aliasing is handled completely by sendmail - majordomo isn't involved
>at all - so... you'd probably get a more knowledgeable response by posting
>your query to a sendmail-related list or newsgroup.
>
>Miles Fidelman

>Network Technology Corporation		    PO Box 600618
>Miles R. Fidelman, President 		    Newtonville, MA 02460-0006
>mfidelman@ntcorp.com			    617-558-3698
>http://www.ntcorp.com		            fax: 617-630-8946

Walt