Great Circle Associates Majordomo-Users
(January 2002)

Subject: Using an include file for resend options in the sendmail alias
From: "Williams, Jack" <jwilliams @ ercot . com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 21:43:38 -0600
To: <majordomo-users @ greatcircle . com>

I am working on a new majordomo deployment and wanted to hide the
outgoing address list in the sendmail alias as described in Managing
Mailing lists (p157). I cannot get the alias to work, but if I add the
options in directly, everything works fine.

The broken alias is:

t2: "|/home/majordom/wrapper resend @/home/majordom/lists/t2.resend"

/home/majordom/lists/t2.resend contains:

"-l t2 -h test1.ercot.com t2-OUT-send,nobody"

The working alias is:

t2: "|/home/majordom/wrapper resend -l t2 -h test1.ercot.com
t2-OUT-send,nobody"

The error message I receive is:

      t2@test1.ercot.com on 1/28/2002 8:19 PM
            The e-mail system was unable to deliver the message, but did
not report a specific reason.  Check the address and try again.  If it
still fails, contact your system administrator.
            < test1.ercot.com #5.0.0>

Syslog shows the following error:

Jan 28 21:13:12 test1 sendmail[1851]: [ID 801593 mail.info]
g0T3DBk01849: to=
"|/home/majordom/wrapper resend @/home/majordom/lists/t2.resend",
ctladdr=t2 (1/
0), delay=00:00:01, xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=prog, pri=120043, dsn=5.3.0,
stat=un
known mailer error 255

Tying the command from the shell prompt results in:

majordom@test1$ cat jwilliams |/home/majordom/wrapper resend
@/home/majordom/lists/t2.resend
resend: must specify '-l list' at /home/majordom/resend line 78.

I am running on Solaris 8.0 07/01 with sendmail version 8.10.2+Sun

Thanks for you help

Jack

Indexed By Date Previous: What's the meaning of that?