Great Circle Associates Majordomo-Users
(May 2002)

Subject: Re: Email Client Suggestion
From: "mshines" <mshines @ purdue . edu>
Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 07:54:27 -0500
To: <majordomo-users @ greatcircle . com>

Perhaps one should ask why it is we need virus scanning software and work on
the underlying problem. I think virus scanning software is just a patch to
get around deficiencies in Operating Systems and Applications Software.

Proper operating systems which protect themselves (Unix to some extent (esp.
'hardened or secure systems', and OS/390 to a greater extent) do not exhibit
such a problem, due to design considerations.

Mike Hines

Michael S Hines                | Phone 765-494-5875
Purdue University              | FAX   765-496-1380
Information Technology@Purdue  | Email mshines@purdue.edu
OS/390 Systems Programmer      | Certifications:
1059 Freehafer Hall            |    CIA, CISA, CFE, CDP
West Lafayette, IN 47907-1061  |