Great Circle Associates Majordomo-Users
(May 2002)

Subject: auto-forward problem
From: "Mathew Thomas" <mathew . thomas @ rmit . edu . au>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 13:36:59 +1000
To: <majordomo-users @ GreatCircle . COM>
Cc: <Majordomo-Workers @ GreatCircle . COM>

Dear All,

Our University's one of the mailing list has about 10,000 addresses and
it is a restrict_post list - only two users are allowed to sent mail to
the list. Recently we had a problem with the list that users are getting
multiple copies of the same mail. By looking at the header of the
duplicate mail, we found that the additional copies of the mail was
auto-forward to the mailing list by some user in the mailing list.

We simulate this problem  on a  test majordomo list with
restricted_post feature in the config file. We put a ".forward" file in
one of the Unix account which pointing to the  test majordomo list
itself. Added this Unix amount to the test majordomo list. Then send a
message to the mailing list. The list send several copy of the mail to
the users in the list until it reach the maximum hoop count on the
Sendmail.

Even though the list is a restricted_post list, how could the majordomo
do this. Is there any way of fixing this. The "restrict_post"  feature
is working except for the auto-forward as explained earlier.

All help appreciated.

Thanks
Mathew
RMIT University, Melbourne
Australia

Indexed By Date Previous: Approval Queues