Great Circle Associates Majordomo-Users
(October 2002)

Subject: Re: Problem with hotmail
From: Joseph Brennan <brennan @ columbia . edu>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 08:55:49 -0400
To: majordomo-users <majordomo-users @ greatcircle . com>

> For the whole of today, most mail sent out on my mailing lists to hotmail accounts has been
> returned from the postmaster saying 'Delivery to the following recipients failed'. It gives no
> reason why. I have tried a seperate list with only one hotmail address on and it gets through
> fine.

We've been told that Hotmail accounts default to not accepting mail unless
the hotmail address is explicitly in the TO or CC headers.  List mail does
not meet this criteria.  Hotmail used to say OK in the smtp transaction
and then throw it away, but lately they seem to bounce it back to sender.
You'd want to check whether these people *ever* got the list mail.

If they did get it before, then it beats me :-)

Joseph Brennan                           postmaster@columbia.edu
Academic Technologies Group, Academic Information Systems (AcIS)