Great Circle Associates Majordomo-Users
(January 2003)

Subject: Re: Maxlength in TO line for approvals
From: Bob Bish <bobbish @ earthlink . net>
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2003 10:38:11 -0700
To: "Herding, Rick" <Rick . Herding @ webct . com>
Cc: Majordomo-Users @ GreatCircle . COM

At 10:06 AM 1/8/2003, Herding, Rick wrote:
>Can somebody tell me how to change the maximum length that can be
>specified in the "TO" line of a list owner's message approval.
>
>What's happening to me is that when I try to approve a bounced message
>that is addressed to numerous recipients, only the first two recipients
>are correctly placed in the "TO" line.  The others get stripped out of the
>"TO" line and get placed in the first line of the message body.  This
>further disrupts the bounce approval by completely removing the subject
>line from the original email.  And, when the bounce does get through to
>the list, the post gets listed as having come from OWNER USERS.
>
>I'm assuming that increasing the maxlength allowed in the "TO" line for
>bounce approvals will fix this?

    It seems to me that if someone sends an e-mail to a several recipients
one of which is a mailing list, only the copy to the mailing list would
bounce (if the sender is a non-member).  The other recipients would receive
the e-mail.  Therefore, when approving it and sending it on to the list
only the list address matters.  The other recipient addresses can be deleted.

...Bob