The problem with this scenario, is that majordomo does not do anything with MIME.
If a text/plain message comes through majordomo, the approval header is read and
stripped out as part of "resend"ing the message to the zubscribers. When MIME is
introduced, this approval header must exist before the first blank line separating
the headers from the body. I think this is the same regardless of what brand name
of MTA you are using in front of majordomo. MajordomoII is still in alpa stage,
but my understanding is that it does understand MIME and can handle this for you.
iPlanet messaging has mailing list capabilities built in, but not automated. Do
your moderated lists get lots of zub/unzub requests? If not, try using iPlanet's
native tools. This is not an answer to your majordomo question, but is a possible
solution to the overall problem.
PS. Can't the moderator send approvals straight to the majordomo server like you
Michael P. Handley wrote:
> I am replying to my own message because I am still struggling with this problem.
> I've went through the docs and faq twice to make sure I haven't missed anything.
> Does anyone have a suggestion to point me in towards a solution.
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Michael P. Handley
> Sent: Friday, January 31, 2003 3:48 PM
> To: email@example.com
> Subject: Iplanet Messaging server with Moderated lists and attachments
> We just moved our mail server from sendmail to iplanet messaging server.
> The old server is still in place and acting as our majordomo server. We have
> two moderated list that are now experiencing difficulty when sending attachments.
> If I send a message from the new system, the bounce gets to the moderator just fine.
> If he approves it and fwds it back to the list, the approval is fine, but the
> attachment shows up in mime format (or txt in the message). If I send the same
> message from the old system, the moderator gets it and does the same approval, it
> comes through as an attachment.
> From what I can see the headers are much different on the iplanet server and
> have to be what my issue is. I've tried deleting down to all different points in
> the header, but it still fails. Any idea from the header below?
>>From firstname.lastname@example.org Fri Jan 31 14:29:04 2003
> Received: from PortalServer1 (mail2.misericordia.edu [126.96.36.199])
> by mail.misericordia.edu (1.1.1/1.1.1) with ESMTP id OAA01258
> for <email@example.com>; Fri, 31 Jan 2003 14:29:04 -0500 (EST)
> Received: from lst-admin.lightspeedtech.net
> (mx1.misericordia.edu [188.8.131.52]) by mail2.misericordia.edu
> (iPlanet Messaging Server 5.1 (built May 7 2001))
> with SMTP id <0H9L0014FFPFK6@mail2.misericordia.edu> for
> firstname.lastname@example.org (ORCPT email@example.com); Fri,
> 31 Jan 2003 14:34:27 -0500 (EST)
> Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 14:29:03 -0500
> From: "Michael P. Handley" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
> Subject: Testing list attachments
> To: email@example.com
> MIME-version: 1.0
> X-MIMEOLE: Produced By Microsoft Exchange V6.0.6249.0
> Content-type: multipart/mixed; boundary="Boundary_(ID_Zu0cvhB114fe0uItIT/2VA)"
> Content-class: urn:content-classes:message
> Thread-topic: Testing list attachments
> Thread-index: AcLJXwMrBMGov1DhSQOH40g8puxBpg==
> X-MS-Has-Attach: yes
> This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
> Content-type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1
> Content-transfer-encoding: 7BIT