Hmmm, let me back up and regroup my thoughts and understanding of
1. You are in a university environment with a mailing list for each
course/class being offered.
2. There is *one* majordomo-owner and *only one* owner for all the
lists in the system. The alias for listname-owner: has the same RHS
for all listnames.
3. The lists are only allowed to be posted to by course instructors.
4. The lists are _NOT_ moderated by these intstructors.
5. You want NDN (non-delivery notifications) to go to instructors
rather than the owner. These are the MAILER-DAEMON replies with a
5xx fatal delivery code where the receiving MTA has given up and
returned the message to the sending MTA. 4xx codes are temporary,
and will be retried until the 4 day timeout before returning them
to the sender.
6. These bounces are currently delivered to the list owner.
Items I am not clear on, are;
a. Who subscribes the students to the mailing lists?
b. Who maintains the memberships to those lists?
c. Can any instructor post to any list?
d. Is it your goal to have the intructors responsible for removal
of bad addresses from the lists they post to?
e. Is it acceptable to post quarterly list membership reminders to
f. Have you considered open source or commercial tools to do the
bounce handling automatically?