Subject: Re: How to handle reply-quoted commands?
From: Scott Hawley <spam4scott @ yahoo . com>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2003 23:36:18 -0700 (PDT)
To: "Roger B.A. Klorese" <rogerk @ queernet . org>
Cc: "Joe R. Jah" <jjah @ cloud . ccsf . cc . ca . us>,majordomo-users @ greatcircle . com, Daniel Liston <dliston @ sonny . org>

 > >Joe and Dan,
> >   Thanks for your responses.   The patch Joe
> >recommended meets my needs/wants exactly!
>
> However, please remember that this means many broken
> autoresponders will
> now be able to confirm subscriptions...

Actually, it appears I spoke too soon.  Replying to a
confirmation message seems to work ok using OS X's
Mail.app, but I just tried it from my yahoo account,
and all I get are the following 4 lines:
--

END OF COMMANDS

Apparently this means it didn't succeed.  Strangely, I
don't get any sort of error messages from majordomo in
my "owner" account --- it's as if the request was
never even received.

I'm not really worried about broken autoresponders
confirming messages, but I am worried about my list
members finding the whole majordomo confirmation
process too complicated ("Get two messages back, look
in one of the messages for an "auth" command with a
numeric code, copy this line and send it back").  It
seems like the Linux credo "by geeks, for geeks"
applies here...  IMail server ("for Windows, for
lusers") is so easy to use by comparison.

Perhaps it's possible to get majordomo to send a URL
in the message that the user can simply follow to
confirm their subscription?  (e.g. I'm currently using
the line like <a
href="mailto:majordomo@mydomain.com?Body=subscribe%20myemaillist>
from a web page, which users click on to be start the
subscription process.  Presumably something similar
could be done for the confirmation?)

Perhaps majordomo2 makes it easier on the end user?
(I don't care too much if *I* have to do a little
extra work...)

For now, I think I'll just change my config file from
subscribe_policy    =   open+confirm
subscribe_policy    =   open

Thanks,
Scott