Subject: Re: Exim/Majordomo
From: Richard Welty <rwelty @ suespammers . org>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 15:23:03 -0400 (EDT)
To: majordomo-users @ greatcircle . com

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 14:52:07 -0400 Michael Arena <marena@magnatechonline.com> wrote:

> Richard,
> I tried using your tutorial but it got a bit confusing at points and I
> don't
> think I completed it correctly. I'm using Exim 4.01-1 on RH 7.2.

you might want to upgrade that. there are numerous improvements in the
current release 4.14, and 4.20 is in testing but not quite ready for prime
time. i'm pretty sure that there are rpms for 4.14 around.

> For instance, in the entry you said to put in the Router Configuration
> section, what entry should I have for th "data =" line, should that be
> the path to my lists.aliases file?

sort of. it needs to be a specification for how to search the file, as well
as providing the path to the file, e.g.

  data = ${lookup{$local_part}lsearch{/usr/share/local/exim/example.com.aliases}}

this specifies that we are to use the local_part of the incoming address to
do a text search (lsearch) of a file in simple alias format. whatever is to
the right of the colon is returned as the data item. if you wanted to use
berkeley db to do the searches (not unreasonable on a Very Large Mail
Server), there is an alternative to lsearch that does that. you could even
get them out of an SQL database like PostgreSQL or MySQL; exim supports
that too (and LDAP, for that matter).

text search or berkely db style is probably more than enough, though.

> Also for the basic alias file entry you list, is that part of the
> lists.aliases file?

it should be part of whatever alias file you give a path to. exim imposes
no restriction on number of alias files, i typically run from 1 to 3 per
virtual domain (if majordomo is hosted on the domain, i have two for
majordomo and one for non-majordomo aliases.)

> How can I test all this out??

exim -bt is your friend.

   exim -bt listname@example.com

will give you a basic test.

   exim -bt -v listname@example.com

will give you more detail. if it's not enough (usually it is), one of the
-d options can give you enough debugging output to choke a small horse.

cheers,
  richard
--
Richard Welty