Subject: Re: can't get 'approve' to work...
From: Daniel Liston <dliston @ sonny . org>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 17:34:28 -0500
To: Bob Hoffmaster <bhoffmaster @ esri . com>,Majordomo-users <Majordomo-users @ greatcircle . com>

I neutered your aliases so I can include the mailing list in my reply.
The "NEWLIST" file all caps like that, in the doc directory, gives
example aliases and explains them in the 3rd and longest bullet of
"To create a list:".
>        test:    "|/usr/test/majordomo-1.94.3/wrapper resend -l test test-list"
>        test-list:  :include:/usr/test/majordomo-1.94.3/lists/test
>        owner-test:   you,
>        test-owner:   you
>        test-request: "|/usr/test/majordomo-1.94.3/wrapper majordomo -l test"

If we examine the logic of an alias that does not use resend,
how is majordomo involved at all, let alone using the config file
to see what policies to enforce?

Having an alias with just an :include: on the RightHandSide simply
tells the MTA that all messages to this alias are redirected to all
members of the file identified by the :include: statement.  There is
no involvement by majordomo here at all.

Examining your test-request: alias, majordomo's only purpose is to
auto-reply with instructions on how to join or leave your list
without actually "doing" anything.  The difference "above" on that
same alias, is that "majordomo -l" instead of "request-answer" is
used to really *do* something based on the body content of the
email message that passes through the alias that calls majordomo.

I modified the format of my test.config file a bit to help explain
some more details built right into the comments section of the
"moderate" setting.
>         # moderate
>         # [bool] (no) <resend>
>         # If yes, all postings to the list will be bounced to the moderator
>         # for approval.
> moderate            =   no

Normally the first two quoted comments above would be on the same line.
The way I have it displayed, is the first line is the command (setting)
and the second line explains the "type" of setting, boolean (yes/no) the
default setting of "no", and which supporting scripts use this setting.
In the case of moderate, ONLY resend uses this setting.  Without resend
in the test: alias, this setting will never be seen or used.  Without a
moderated list, when would you ever have to "approve" anything?  If we
take another look at the test.config file comments about;
>         # approve_passwd
>         # [word] (test.pass) <resend>
>         # Password to be used in the approved header to allow posting to
>         # moderated list, or to bypass resend checks.
> approve_passwd      =   test.pass

We find that ONLY resend does anything with this setting too.

Noting the first quote above from the NEWLIST file, we can see that
the examples have not changed since at least version 1.94.3

Dan Liston

Bob Hoffmaster wrote:
> Daniel;
> Here are the entries in my 'aliases' file:
>
> #Majordomo
> majordomo:       "|/usr/test/majordomo-1.94.5/wrapper majordomo"
> owner-majordomo: me
> majordomo-owner: me
> #
> # test list:
> test:            :include:/usr/test/majordomo-1.94.5/lists/test
> owner-test:      me
> test-owner:      me
> test-request:    "|/usr/test/majordomo-1.94.5/wrapper request-answer test"
> test-approval:   me
>

> where in the docs does it say the resend script is needed for the approve
> function?
>
> Thanks
> Bob

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: Re: can't get 'approve' to work...