Great Circle Associates Majordomo-Users
(February 2004)

Subject: Dealing with all those 'help requests' due to spam
From: Lee <lee_19712003 @ yahoo . com>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 20:36:57 +0000 (GMT)
To: major <majordomo-users @ greatcircle . com>
Cc: me <lee_19712003 @ yahoo . com>

hello,

Reading a recent reply to a list message here from Dan, I've decided to set up an arduous filter system to help me keep track of the addresses  'spamming' my majordomo. They generate many, many 'command not understood' errors thus sending out the help file ... which bounces back .... etc .....
My aim is to create a blacklist which Dan referred to, which I could then forward to my majordomo host for adding to the system.

There's an example of such a message, including the full headers, here:

http://www.incelsite.com/example.txt

I receive all the messages via the list-owner address, which is set to send mail to my ukonline account, which I then collect via a POP3 to my main Yahoo account for perusal - just to explain my path there.

Now, so far, with the exception of a couple of messages coming from obviously the same 'spammer domain', such as 'biz-today.net' for eg, I have accumulated a list of 35 apparently 'unique' addresses. This is currently showing no signs of slowing down !!

I'm assuming some spammers generate new random addresses each time, maybe just the xxxx@ part, so am I wasting my time here?
I can see some common domains coming through, such as msn.com and yahoo.com, but surely I couldn't just blacklist those because many legal list subscribers would then be blacklisted?

So basically, is there any point in doing what I'm trying here, or is there something I'm missing in the concept?
I should add that my server host's recent changes and my use of the restrict_post function ( which Dan and Roger here helped me with ) have stopped 'spam' messages actually coming onto the list itself.

I look forward to your advice here,

thanks a lot,

lee

BT Yahoo! Broadband - Free modem offer, sign up online today and save 80
Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Majordomo stopped working ...