Great Circle Associates Majordomo-Users
(February 2004)

Subject: Re: Dealing with all those 'help requests' due to spam
From: Lee <lee_19712003 @ yahoo . com>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 00:04:20 +0000 (GMT)
To: "Joe R. Jah" <jjah @ cloud . ccsf . cc . ca . us>
Cc: major <majordomo-users @ greatcircle . com>,me <lee_19712003 @ yahoo . com>

hello Joe,

thanks very much for your reply - it sounds like you've totally grasped my situation!

So, I'll stop my masochistic (sp) email address logging I'm doing and approach my host with your patch. I'm assuming you use it and it works ok?

I'm also assuming there are no generic bits in it which need tailoring to my install; I couldn't see any on a quick zap through it.

Many thanks again,

Lee

"Joe R. Jah" <jjah@cloud.ccsf.cc.ca.us> wrote:
On Wed, 4 Feb 2004, [iso-8859-1] Lee wrote:

> Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 20:36:57 +0000 (GMT)
> From: "[iso-8859-1] Lee"
> To: major
> Cc: me
> Subject: Dealing with all those 'help requests' due to spam
>

> hello,
> Reading a recent reply to a list message here from Dan, I've decided
> to set up an arduous filter system to help me keep track of the
> addresses 'spamming' my majordomo. They generate many, many 'command
> not understood' errors thus sending out the help file ... which
> bounces back .... etc ..... My aim is to create a blacklist which Dan
> referred to, which I could then forward to my majordomo host for
> adding to the system.

[snip]

> So basically, is there any point in doing what I'm trying here, or is

Not really;)

> I look forward to your advice here,
>
> thanks a lot,

Take a look at this, and see if you can convince your Majordomo host to
apply it.

ftp://ftp.ccsf.org/majordomo-patches/1.94.5/noCommand_noBounce.0

Regards,

Joe
.

BT Yahoo! Broadband - Free modem offer, sign up online today and save 80