Great Circle Associates Majordomo-Users
(February 2004)

Subject: Re: Dealing with all those 'help requests' due to spam
From: Fran Fabrizio <fran @ cis . uab . edu>
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2004 20:47:34 -0600
To: "Joe R. Jah" <jjah @ cloud . ccsf . cc . ca . us>,Lee <lee_19712003 @ yahoo . com>
Cc: major <majordomo-users @ greatcircle . com>

> >  Reading a recent reply to a list message here from Dan, I've decided
> > to set up an arduous filter system to help me keep track of the
> > addresses 'spamming' my majordomo. They generate many, many 'command
> > not understood' errors thus sending out the help file ... which
> > bounces back .... etc ..... My aim is to create a blacklist which Dan
> > referred to, which I could then forward to my majordomo host for
> > adding to the system.

Ah - this is the problem I posted about a few days back, I just didn't
realize the ramifications of what I was seeing and what was happening.

>Take a look at this, and see if you can convince your Majordomo host to
>apply it.
>
>   ftp://ftp.ccsf.org/majordomo-patches/1.94.5/noCommand_noBounce.0

I too will be trying this patch on our server.  Thanks!

-Fran

Fran Fabrizio
Senior Systems Analyst
Department of Computer and Information Sciences
University of Alabama - Birmingham
fran@cis.uab.edu
(205) 934-0653