Subject: Re: Problem with aliases, I think
From: Diana Kirk <owner @ writestop . com>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 22:36:05 -0500
To: Majordomo-users @ GreatCircle . COM

Thank you for your response.

On Wednesday 03 March 2004 01:07 am, Daniel Liston wrote:
> The "unsafe map file" references more than just the file, the
> security in sendmail prevents it from using files in any directory
> that is writable by anyone but the owner too.  The directories you
> need to check for 775 or 777 permissions and change them to 755 or
> 751 are "/", "/usr", "/usr/local", "/usr/local/majordomo", and
> "/usr/local/majordomo/lists".

I don't have full control over the server. I do have a dedicated IP
address. I couldn't check "/", but the other directories were (and are)
all 755.

> The out of date .cf file referred to is the sendmail.cf file.  It
> would be my guess that sendmail has been updated on your machine,
> without any update to the sendmail.cf or the sendmail.mc for
> building the sendmail.cf file.

I agree with this. After writing this list and wondering if my web host
had updated sendmail, I also sent them a trouble ticket with the error
messages. The problem miraculously cleared itself up after that.

> You could/should change the sendmail.cf to point to a symbolic
> link to the majordomo aliases in /etc/mail instead of directly
> at the source file for those aliases.  As root, execute these
> commands:
>
> ln -s /usr/local/majordomo/majordomo.aliases
> /etc/mail/majordomo.aliases
>
> then edit the sendmail.cf file looking for /usr/local/majordomo and
> replace it with /etc/mail.  Now you can;
>
> newaliases
>
> and restart sendmail.

Thank you for your help. I will save this. In a short while, we will be
moving to a different server, and I will undoubtedly run into this
issue again. It has been a source of irritation to me that my web host
never admits there's a problem, so I can't learn what to do should a
same or similar problem occur. This is very helpful.

Diana

--
Diana Kirk
Registered Linux User #327485