Subject: Re: SPAM Filtering from lists/digest
From: "Pettit, Paul" <ismanager @ ccbnpts . com>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 15:11:21 -0600
To: <majordomo-users @ greatcircle . com>

> kent crispin
>
> On Wed, Mar 30, 2005 at 02:23:11PM -0600, Pettit, Paul wrote:
> > Beyond that I can't help you more. I don't do digests and when I get
> > spam on a list I have, the person gets 1 warning then shown
> the door. I
> > have a very low tolarance for spam.
>
> A very large percentage of spam uses spoofed "from:" addresses.  The
> address verification that majordomo uses doesn't block all
> spam -- the
> only way to really keep spam off a list is to moderate it.
>
> --
> Kent Crispin

I'll grant you that spoofed addresses maybe to blame but I find that
it's highly unlikely that a spam is spoofed with a valid email address
and to the right list by accident. Sure I see tons of bogus email
addresses with my domain name attached in my spam traps but rare is the
one with a valid (for my domain) email addy in it. Of course YMMV.

I still think the best recourse is to determine the source of the spam
(if possible), stop the spam at SA and not rely on Mj to do it but
that's just my opinion. Not knowing just how much spam he has to deal
with makes it hard to say if this is coincidence or "enemy action". :)

Paul Pettit
CTO and IS Manager
Consistent Computer Bargains Inc.

I've heard it said that the proof of lunacy is when you repeat the same
steps expecting different results.  I say it's proof that you're a
Microsoft user. - comment by deshi777 on experts-exchange.com