Great Circle Associates Majordomo-Users
(December 2005)

Subject: Re: Grouping by thread
From: John F Hall <jfh-mdu @ avondale . demon . co . uk>
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2005 16:07:09 +0000
To: majordomo-users @ greatcircle . com

On Tue, Dec 06, 2005 at 12:06:29 -0000, William Kremer wrote:
> Hi there, I'm new to the group so pleased to meet you.
>
> I moderate a popular discussion list. Because this is a job which I
> inherited from my predecessor in this company, I did not configure the
> list and I confess I have very little understanding of majordomo in
> general. However, the more I explore Majordomo, the more I am coming to
> see my working practices as archaic. I was wondering whether you good
> people could make some suggestions about ways to save time, and improve
> the service for our audience.
>
> At the moment I am using majordomo to send out ten discussion group
> emails on ten different topics, 3 times a week. These emails are
> compiled from emails which our audience has sent to us... Sorted into
> threads, you might say. I literally have to cut and paste each of their
> emails into these different emails, before I send them out. I think too
> many emails are sent by the group for them not to be grouped together in
> some way (i.e. to run a 'regular' undigested group).
>
> Is there any way to automatically group emails by thread, ready to be
> moderated before sending them out to the group? This would save me about
> ten hours a week, and also probably stop me from developing RSI!

I see no one has replied (unless you have had a direct email).

Threading would be a function of your MUA - the mail reader that you use
to read your email - not of majordomo.  If you were using Linux or Unix
I would recommend "mutt", but if you're using some version of Windows I
cannot help.  Have you investigated whether the mail reader you use is
capable of threading?

If however you are using "threading" as meaning just grouping into
similar topics why not create a directory/folder/mailbox for each
topic, and move each email into the approriate one?  Then you can
process them separately as you want to.

It can only be done automatically if the original writers are
distinguishing them.  If, for instance, they are sending then to
separate request addresses you need to alias those to different
destinations, perhaps by using "tagged" addresses.  Thus the "jfh-mdu"
address I use here is artificial and is aliased to an address of the
form "user+filename", where "user" represents my real login name and
"filename" the mailfile where all this email is grouped.  Again that is
Linux specific, but Windows may have something similar.

--
John F Hall