Great Circle Associates Majordomo-Users
(February 2006)

Subject: Re: outgoing address compromised
From: Chip Old <fold @ bcpl . net>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 12:38:36 -0500 (EST)
To: Majordomo Users <majordomo-users @ greatcircle . com>

On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 10:23 -0700, karlp@ourldsfamily.com wrote:

> I have 2 issues with the compromise of an outgoing email alias for one
> of my groups.
>
> First, how could someone get that address? I have ,nobody after
> grpname-outgoing in the list alias.

The addition of "nobody" to the alias ensures that "grpname-outgoing"
doesn't appear in the message header, but you should examine a header to
make sure it's working.  If not, check how you have the aliase set up, or
post all your aliases for "grpname" here so we can see them.

> Second, how can I recover so my group members who have poor spam filters
> don't get the spam?

Assuming you are using sendmail as the MTA, put something like this in
your virtusertable:

grpname-outgoing@domain.tld     error:nouser User unknown

Substitute the actual listname and domain name, of course. Sendmail will
then reject mail addressed to grpname-outgoing, but this will not stop the
alias from working for resend.

--
Chip Old (Francis E. Old)             E-Mail:  fold@bcpl.net
BCPL Network Administrator            Phone:   410-887-6180