Great Circle Associates Majordomo-Users
(September 2007)

Subject: Re: Install problems-very frustrated
From: Daniel Liston <dliston @ sonny . org>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 12:39:06 -0500
To: Philip Clifton <p . clifton @ four-eight-four . com>
Cc: majordomo-users @ greatcircle . com

I would imagine that if you used an rpm, the install is completed.  The
problem you are having is with configuration or creating new lists.

Philip Clifton wrote:
OK, so I installed majordomo from the appropriate RPM on our CentOS5 machine. I've edited the sendmail config as indicated, but when I try "echo lists | mail majordomo" I never get anything. The mail is going to majordomo, but I can only guess that it's not being properly piped to

What have you seen that leads you to this conclusion?

the wrapper. Problem is, I can't seem to find any really useful troubleshooting info around. Any ideas here?

Troubleshooting majordomo 101:
are you running with sendmail as your MTA
sendmail has "*dontblamesendmail*" settings that must be considered
check your sendmail logs to see what sendmail did with the message first
check your majordomo log for comparison
what does the output of the majordomo config-test show

From what I can see, you will want to create a link to your
majordomo.aliases file in /etc/mail, and refer to that link
in your sendmail.mc.  Make sure permissions/ownership matches
that of other files in /etc/mail before building sendmail.cf.
Don't forget the the sendmail -bi or newaliases command either.

Did you copy or link majordomo.cf into /etc?
Did you edit majordomo.cf to match your domain?
Does your sendmail default to using smrsh?
Is there a link in /etc/smrsh to majordomo's wrapper?

Heads up:  Any mail addressed to test @ your.domain will not
be processed by majordomo (yet).  It will be distributed to
all email addresses in the _test_ file, but will not be
managed by majordomo until you create the proper *resend*
alias.

Here is what I added to sendmail.mc:
define(ALIAS_FILE',/etc/aliases,/usr/lib/majordomo/majordomo.aliases')dnl
define(ConfTRUSTED_USERS',majordomo')dnl

This is not a necessity, just nice to have, and usually only
in the largest of environments, or where the majordomo owner
does not also own sendmail.

And the content of majordomo.aliases:
majordomo:       "|/usr/lib/majordomo/wrapper majordomo"
owner-majordomo: majordomo
majordomo-owner: majordomo

The rpm should have done those for you.

test:          :include:/usr/lib/majordomo/lists/test
owner-test:    majordomo
test-request:  "|/usr/lib/majordomo/wrapper request-answer test"
test-approval: majordomo

Probably not the best idea to assign majordomo as the [-]owner[-]
of any list.  In fact, it is a very bad idea.  Mail to those aliases
will probably end up in the black hole of the ether net. ;)

The owner should be an email address where a human checks mail.

A "test" mailing list that does archives AND digests will have
aliases that look like this;

owner-test: test-owner
test: "|/usr/lib/majordomo/wrapper resend -l test test-outgoing,nobody"
test-owner: someone @
your .
domain,
test-request: "|/usr/lib/majordomo/wrapper majordomo -l test"
test-approval: moderator @
your .
domain
test-outgoing: :include:/var/lib/majordomo/lists/test,test-archiver,test-digestify
test-archiver: "|/usr/lib/majordomo/wrapper archive2.pl -f /var/lib/majordomo/archives/test/test -a -M"
test-digestify: "|/usr/lib/majordomo/wrapper digest -r -C -l test-digest test-digest-outgoing"
owner-test-digest: test-owner
test-digest:	test,
test-digest-owner: test-owner
test-digest-request: "|/usr/lib/majordomo/wrapper majordomo -l test-digest"
test-digest-approval: test-approval
test-digest-outgoing: :include:/var/lib/majordomo/lists/test-digest,nobody"

Dan Liston