Subject: Re: Operating System Error
From: "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs @ berklix . com>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 18:21:24 +0100
To: Dave Martini <martini1 @ llnl . gov>
Cc: majordomo-users @ greatcircle . com

Dave Martini wrote:
> Does anyone know what Operating System Error means?
> I'm running Majordomo 1.94.5 on RHEL 5.4.
> Is Majordomo compatible with RHEL 5.4? I downloaded the .tar.gz file
> from their site.
>
> Running /var/spool/mqueue/o2FGmkEo002627 (sequence 14 of 17)
> "|/home/majordom/majordomo/latest/wrapper resend -p bulk -M 10000
>   -l admin -f admin-owner -h mrpeanut2.llnl.gov -s
> admin-outgoing"... Connecting to prog...
> Operating system error

Search Sources for clues :-)
	cd somewhere-you-suspect
	find . -type f -exec grep "Operating system error" {} /dev/null \;

String
	Operating system error
is not in majordomo sources for 1.94.5

String is in sendmail
In FreeBSD-7.1 I see that string in /usr/src/contrib/sendmail/
	RELEASE_NOTES:	Mail delivery to files would fail with an Operating System Error
	include/sm/sysexits.h:**	EX_OSERR -- An operating system error has been detected.
	libsm/exc.html:	This represents a generic operating system error.
	libsm/strexit.c:		return ":451 4.0.0 Operating system error";
	src/sendmail.8:Temporary operating system error,
Above is for sendmail released 2008/05/03

PS You might want to check if you have this in your sendmail .mc file
	FEATURE(smrsh)
As I recall its so pipes are supported.

http://www.sendmail.org/m4/features.html#smrsh
       Use the SendMail  Restricted SHell (smrsh) provided with
       the distribution instead of /bin/sh for mailing to programs.
       This improves the ability of the local system administrator
       to control what gets run via e-mail. If an argument is
       provided it is used as the pathname to smrsh; otherwise,
       the path defined by confEBINDIR is used for the smrsh binary
       -- by default, /usr/libexec/smrsh is assumed.

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey: BSD Unix Linux C Sys Eng Consultants Munich http://berklix.com