Subject: Re: [Elizabeth Lear Newman: [: Idea: Ramp-Up Procedure]]
From: "John P. Rouillard" <rouilj @ terminus . cs . umb . edu>
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 1994 13:01:40 -0400
To: Brent Chapman <brent @ greatcircle . com>
Cc: majordomo-workers @ greatcircle . com, tedw @ microsoft . com

In message <199404081540.IAA19362@mycroft.GreatCircle.COM>, Brent Chapman
writes:
> David Barr <barr@pop.psu.edu> writes:
>
> # In message <199404080641.XAA16437@mycroft.GreatCircle.COM>, Brent
> # Chapman writes:
> # >Forwarded without comment;
> # >From: tedw@microsoft.com
> # >[..]
> # >     backread <list> <#ofmsgs>
> # >
> # >and receive the last <#ofmsgs> messages sent to that mailing list.
> #
> # One thing I like about Majordomo is its simplicity of design and
> # low learning curve.  It does just enough work in order to get the
> # job done well, without overloading the user (and the system) with lots
> # of commands they will hardly ever use, or can be done better by existing
> # methods.
> #
> # It seams to me that this "backread" command falls into this last
> # category.  Mail readers already have built up lots of neat ways
> # to search mail messages, I don't think it's worthwhile to have
> # Majordomo duplicate all of them.  I think it's better for the
> # user to just get the archive of the last month, and view it with their
> # favorite file viewer/mail reader or whatever and do it that way.
>
> I would agree with this.  By the way, one of the new tools for use
> with Majordomo (which John may have included with 1.90beta2; I haven't
> looked yet) is an archive-creation program that automatically maintains
> yearly, monthly, or daily archives (based on command line arguments),
> and will also split existing simple archives into yearly, monthly, or
> daily archives.

The program Brent talks about is in the 1.90b2 release. It has not
been modified to allow config file parameters to be used in place of
command line parameters, but it does work.

The way I deal with the above is to use an archive program that is a
front end to the MH mail system. This allows me to provide a per
message granularity.

In 2.0, I plan on supplying an mh command addin-module that allows
searching, and ranges of articles to be scanned/retrieved. There is no
need to build this functionality into majordomo proper.

				-- John
John Rouillard

Special Projects Volunteer	University of Massachusetts at Boston
rouilj@cs.umb.edu (preferred)	Boston, MA, (617) 287-6480