Subject: Re: Problem with 1.92: why and is it fixed in 1.93?
From: Brent @ GreatCircle . COM (Brent Chapman)
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 1995 09:46:05 -0800
To: Jeff Okamoto <okamoto @ hpcc123 . corp . hp . com>, majordomo-workers @ greatcircle . com

At 1:42 PM 3/17/95, Jeff Okamoto wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I have subscribed to this list, but not yet gotten confirmation of my
>addition, so if you could please include me in any reply, I'd appreciate
>it.
>
>I have 1.92 installed and am in the process of installing 1.93 under
>HP-UX 9.04 with perl 4.036.  The problem I have is that every so often,
>I get "MAJORDOMO abort" messages along with another 5000+ line message.
>(I turned shlock_debug on in shlock.pl).  The beginning of those messages
>is enclosed below.
>
>Does anyone know 1) what is causing this problem and 2) if 1.93 has
>fixed this problem?

This is usually symptomatic of a timeout while trying to grab a lock file.
I don't think 1.93 does anything to address it.  Arnold de Leon did some
work on the lock code to give it exponential backoff of retries and posted
the patches to Majordomo-Workers, but it doesn't look like the changes got
incorporated into the released code (not yet, anyway).  What Majordomo
really needs are ordered wait locks (so that different Majordomo processes
get access to the file they're all requesting in the order they requested
it) instead of spin locks, if somebody feels up to it.

-Brent

For info about the Internet Security Firewalls Tutorial and a schedule
of upcoming dates, please send email to Tutorial-Info@GreatCircle.COM
Brent Chapman                                 Great Circle Associates
Brent@GreatCircle.COM                         1057 West Dana Street
+1 415 962 0841                               Mountain View, CA  94041

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: resend takes hours?!?