(May 1995)

Subject: majordomo 2.0 projects: file-request opinion and hack
From: Peter Jakobi <jakobi @ informatik . tu-muenchen . de>
Date: Tue, 2 May 1995 22:25:50 +0100
To: majordomo-workers @ greatcircle . com

Hello!

re: majordomo2.0 projects

please consider to keep the file support. I'm running majordomo
as a service to a local computer science branch, besides a bbs and
a WWW-Server. Majordomo runs on the WWW-server (which is not out
ftp-server), and so at least the same set of files is accessible
via majordomo and WWW... (being no sysop restricts your options :-/)

Here's a hack similar to the get <file>.gz feature of wuarchive.
It uses Mailpk (somewhere on comp.sources.* recently), a tool
to archive a directory tree and transmit it by mail. It's a bit
oversized for transmitting single files, but it's an external
tool that doesn't add a hassle to majordomo and allows transfer of
binary data. To use binary file transfer, the user simple has to
get <file>.mailpk.

In short, this hack allows majordomo to serve as a list's binary
fileserver, for more than just last month's archives, and provides
just the functionality I require of a tool like majordomo.

CU
Peter

diffing majordomo1.93
#1,2c1
974,980d972
< 	if (!defined($clean_file) && $filename=~/\.MAILPK$/i && !defined($ftpmail_address)) {
< #pj
< 	   local($mailpkfilename)=$filename;
< 	   $mailpkfilename=~s/\.MAILPK$//i;
< 	   $clean_file = &valid_filename($filedir, $clean_list,
< 	       $filedir_suffix, $mailpkfilename);
< 	}
997,1012c989,996
< #pj
<                     if ( $filename=~/\.MAILPK$/i ) {
< 		        local($mailpkbasename)=$clean_file;
< 			$mailpkbasename=~s/^(.*)\/([^\/]+)$/$2/;
< 			local(@mailpkrecipients)=&ParseAddrs($reply_to);
< 		        system("cd `dirname $clean_file`; $homedir/mailpk -l $mailpkbasename -m '$mailpkrecipients[0]' -f -p `basename $clean_file`");
< 		    } else {
< 		        # Set up the sendmail process to send the file
< 		        &sendmail(GETFILEMSG, $reply_to,
< 		            "Majordomo file: list '$clean_list' file '$filename'");
< 		        while (<GETFILE>) {
< 			    print GETFILEMSG $_;
< 		        }
< 		        # close (and thereby send) the file
< 		        close(GETFILEMSG);
< 	            }
---
> 		    # Set up the sendmail process to send the file
> 		    &sendmail(GETFILEMSG, $reply_to,
> 			"Majordomo file: list '$clean_list' file '$filename'");
> 		    while (<GETFILE>) {
> 			print GETFILEMSG $_;
> 		    }
> 		    # close (and thereby send) the file
> 		    close(GETFILEMSG);
1115,1116c1099
<         Get a file related to <list>. Local Modification: Add .mailpk to the
<         filename in order to receive a uuencoded version of the file.
---
>         Get a file related to <list>.

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Coordination of Majordomo 2.0 efforts