(May 1995)

Subject: Re: Coordination of Majordomo 2.0 efforts
From: hal9001 @ panix . com (Robert A. Rosenberg)
Date: Wed, 3 May 1995 14:56:30 -0400
To: majordomo-workers @ GreatCircle . COM

I am only a user of MajorDomo mailing lists but I have some functionality
features I'd like to see in 2.0 (or a future version). Some are requests
for functionality that already exists in other ML products.

1) I would like a User Settable switch to allow/suppress transmission to
the User of any message that has the user listed for a direct copy via
To/Cc. IOW, if the switch is set by Userx, then when MD is processing a
message that has Userx listed on the To or Cc, there will be no copy of
that message sent to Userx by MD. This will suppress the MD duplicated copy
of all messages sent to a User and the list while still having MD
distribute copies to those who have not been sent an original by the
poster.

2) Allow a user to control (via a switch) if they are sent copies of their
own submitted messages (LISTSERV REPRO/NOREPO Switch).

3) Allow a user to control (via a switch) if they are sent any
acknowledgement of their own submitted messages (LISTSERV ACK/NOACK
Switch).

4) Allow a user to control (via a switch) if they are sent any Messages
without the need to unsubscribe/resubscribe (LISTSERV MAIL/NOMAIL Switch)
[ie: A "vacation" switch"]. Optionally, I'd like this to be a dated
function so that MD will reset the user to MAIL at a specified date (ie: It
will resume mailing when the user is back without the need for the user to
actually sent the SET MAIL request).

5) In the event of a Bounce that would normally cause the user to get
unsubscribed (assuming that there is automatic code to do this currently)
allow the Mailing List Owner to set a Option that just sets the status to
NOMAIL (feature 4). Also it might be nice to have a option that will try to
send a message to the user (informing him/her that they were set to NOMAIL
due to bounces) on a periodic basis (settable by the List-Owner) to check
if the address still bounces. If one gets though, optionally reset the user
to MAIL. Note that there should be a command to check/list/track those who
are in NOMAIL status due to this Bounce Option.

I'm sure that I can think of more features (when I do, I'll send them
along) but I think that the above are a good start for a wish list <g>.

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Coordination of Majordomo 2.0 efforts