Responding to a previous article by Brent Chapman Sun, 7 May 1995 11:16:53
* At 10:00 PM 5/4/95, Marko Toivanen wrote:
* >I would be great if there were a l*stowner settable script that would
* >automatically move people who *stop* bouncing from the bounces l*st to the
* >l*st(s) they were on, preferably telling them when they were moved to the
* >bounces l*st - all this information is available on the bounces l*st file,
* >isn't it? And then again, a l*st specific l*stowner settable script to
* >automatically move people from a l*st after a certain amount of bounces -
* >the owner-bounces could feed the former and owner-l*st the latter script.
* >What does this sound like?
* One characteristic of the "bounces list" setup common with Majordomo is
* that an address will only be in there for the _first_ list they were
* bounced from. This is because Majordomo suppresses as duplicates any
* further bounce subscriptions for that address. If they were on multiple
* lists at your site, and were bounced from all of them, the auto-resubscribe
* mentioned above would only resubscribe them to the first list.
Even without using the strip option and with the different comments on each?
Then this is a serious impediment of taking advantage of the bounces list on
the site I'm taking part in list management, since many subscribers are on
several lists. So, they would also find out one of the removals from a
regular list to bounces. On the other hand, if the bounces script could be
patched to remove this fault, then the automatic resubscriber (merely to
take some additional work of management) would work - but apparently what is
at question here is the whole method majordomo uses to stop duplicate
subscriptions, so the idea is finnished?
Thanks for the information, Brent.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Marko Toivanen * * * * * * * * * * co-moderator in FEYERABEND of
email@example.com * * * * * * * * firstname.lastname@example.org
http://www.joensuu.fi/~mtoivane/ * http://lists.village.virginia.edu/~spoons/