(May 1995)

Subject: Re: Coordination of Majordomo 2.0 efforts
From: Brent @ GreatCircle . COM (Brent Chapman)
Date: Mon, 8 May 1995 23:21:11 -0800
To: mtoivane @ cc . joensuu . fi
Cc: rsnyder @ vf . mmc . com, majordomo-workers @ GreatCircle . COM

At 3:11 PM 5/8/95, Marko Toivanen wrote:
>Responding to a previous article by Brent Chapman Sun, 7 May 1995 11:16:53
>-0800:
>* One characteristic of the "bounces list" setup common with Majordomo is
>* that an address will only be in there for the _first_ list they were
>* bounced from.  This is because Majordomo suppresses as duplicates any
>* further bounce subscriptions for that address.  If they were on multiple
>* lists at your site, and were bounced from all of them, the auto-resubscribe
>* mentioned above would only resubscribe them to the first list.
>
>Even without using the strip option and with the different comments on each?
>Then this is a serious impediment of taking advantage of the bounces list on
>the site I'm taking part in list management, since many subscribers are on
>several lists. So, they would also find out one of the removals from a
>regular list to bounces. On the other hand, if the bounces script could be
>patched to remove this fault, then the automatic resubscriber (merely to
>take some additional work of management) would work - but apparently what is
>at question here is the whole method majordomo uses to stop duplicate
>subscriptions, so the idea is finnished?

Majordomo treats all of the following addresses as identical, regardless of
whether or not the strip option is turned on:

        Brent@GreatCircle.COM
        Brent@GreatCircle.COM (Brent Chapman)
        Brent Chapman <Brent@GreatCircle.COM>

The strip option only controls whether or not comments ("Brent Chapman" in
the examples above) are stripped off the address before the address is
written to the list file; this is to make it easier to deal with some
mailers that can't handle addresses with comments.

-Brent

For info about the Internet Security Firewalls Tutorial and a schedule
of upcoming dates, please send email to Tutorial-Info@GreatCircle.COM
Brent Chapman                                 Great Circle Associates
Brent@GreatCircle.COM                         1057 West Dana Street
+1 415 962 0841                               Mountain View, CA  94041

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Coordination of Majordomo 2.0 efforts